Saturday, July 11, 2009

The other boy

My little Lollygagger has been heartbroken for weeks over Matthew. He’s a cute little guy, with blond hair and blue eyes. At the beginning of her first school year, preschool that is, the two of them decided they would be married. They held hands, played together at every recess, and sat together during craft time and story time. Then, Merin moved in. She took over every aspect of his, tiny little heart. My little Lollygagger was pushed out and didn’t know what to do.

I’ve learned a mother’s advice is never right. Realizing this has left me feeling left footed. I’ve suffered with her, feeling her pain and left helpless to cure her shattered dreams of a life time with Matthew. Oh, the perils of a preschooler.

Devastating.

Today, she received in the mail a Thank You card from another boy at school, who frankly, is another cute blond hair, blue eyed sweetie. And, this one has adorable freckles.

It’s nice to still see good manners handed down to your children by the simple act of a Thank You card. It can make a huge impact on the receiver. It’s just so rare these days. But, I digress.

The Lollygagger sat beside me while I read the note: “Dear Lollygagger, thank you for the birthday present. You’re a good friend. Love, Ben.”

The Lollygagger immediately smiled and said with a giggle, “he loves me!” Oh, no. Oh, my.

How does a mother, who has worked tirelessly to help her wee one get over her first crush, explain that the valediction is no more than a matter of a warm fuzzy, rather than the literal translation of the word? I began to open my mouth like a fish gasping for water. My mind began racing, reaching, groping the air for an explanation to this word “Love” appearing in her Thank You card.

Would I break her heart again if I let the cat out of the bag? She seemed so happy and seemed to have completely forgotten what’s-his-name for the first time all summer. So, I did what any good mother would do. I smiled and closed my mouth. Or, closed my mouth, then smiled.

I realized the summer is going to be long, new children will be in her class when she starts Kindergarten, and it’s totally possible she will forget all about this unwitting admission of love from her friend, Ben.

Let’s hope the omission of an explanation, which is tantamount to a lie, doesn’t come back to bite me on the back side.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment