Friday, December 11, 2009

China, His Birthday Surprise!

It was his birthday on the 5th. It turned out to be a day like any other day, but we did what we could to make it as special as possible.

Just as I was scratching my head trying to think of what I could do to make it a better than average day, he called down the stairs to tell me there was a kitten on the balcony. So, naturally, I let it in... much to his chagrin. What could I do? We can't let the little kitten become coyote food. And believe me, she wouldn't stand a chance for survival around these parts.

Needless to say, the Lollygagger went nuts. She immediately claimed the little cat as hers and started to arrange her bed so the cat would have some room on it.

Whoa! Listen here Lollygagger, we need to find her mommy and give her back.

Right, momma. That'll happen.

We posted an ad on the local mountain web site and posted a sign in our local grocery store. So far, nothing. We've had a few people respond to the web site post, but they lost a different cat altogether. They responded with photos and all.

Truth be told, there's no way we could give back that little cat without breaking the Lollygaggers heart. Should the rightful owner want to claim her, I'll have to do the right thing and give her back, right?

Teaching a 5 year old important lessons in life shouldn't have to break her heart. Though we're doing the right thing, I'm secretly hoping the true owner never comes-a-calling. Inexplicably, I believe he feels the same way. He's let the little cat sit on him, which never happens with the other cats, and he let her walk on the counter top right under his nose, and he didn't do a thing about it.

I guess it did turn out to be a special day. Let's hope things stay on track and no one claims the little cat. I'd hate to see them both brokenhearted.

Between the two of them they decided to name her China. I think it's because the Lollygagger is from China and in her mind, all things adopted must come from China.

Oooooh, I hope I don't have to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment