Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Wizard of Oz





When I was a young girl, we would gather around the television every Sunday night and watch what ever Disney show channel 7 happened to air. Sometimes, there was the occasional programming that trumped the Disney movie of the week.

I remember when we all gathered to watch the Wizard of Oz. I would sit on the floor, behind my daddy's legs, and peek at the television from between his knees. I was so scared out of my mind I closed my eyes through most of the movie.



Here, the Lollygagger eats a bowl of soup while watching the classic movie that frightened me so much when I was her age.

When the flying monkey first appears, she opened her mouth into a comical "O" and starred up at the television without blinking. I was sure she would insist I sit with her, or crawl onto the couch and hang on my arm.

She sits there, sipping her soup, her hair brushing the carpet behind her, content to be in her shorts during a cold snap...

She watched the entire movie, for the first time, and was stoic and brave the whole time.

Once again, she surprises me by being so contrary to everything I ever was as a child. ...and I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment