Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Swimming Lesson

Last night, we took the Lollygagger for her first swimming lesson. She was excited and couldn’t seem to hold still longer that a second at a time. Have you ever noticed that about children? Their either tired or excited and absolutely must run, or wiggle. Why is that? Someday I’ll have all the wonders of the word explained to me. Children are just the tip of that little iceberg.

Anyway, when the swimming instructor said it was time to get into the pool, she was the first one in. Not a surprise. She’s fearless; a thrill seeker; a maniac for adventure. This is why you’ll see the Lollygagger’s daddy in the pool with her. Control… it’s all about the control. No control, no Lollygagger. Keeping her alive is the name of the game here.

Good thing for the Lollygagger’s daddy; she’d be a goner if I had to climb into that pool. Deep bodies of water make me nervous. I can’t swim a single stroke. Not one. Sad, isn’t it?


She has a permanent fixture on her sweet little face. May the smiling never cease.


Woops, what happened here? She’s swallowed pool water. Ah, hello… Daddy? You watching her? “OH MY LORD, SHE’S DROWNING!! HELP HER! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?”

The Lollygagger’s daddy was a bit beside himself with my thinly disguised level of panic. You see, it took a month for him to convenience me that this would be a good thing for her. I’ve been a bit on edge with the whole idea.

No sooner do I make a complete fool of myself, she’s leaping from the water like a Mermaid. Just look at her face. The joy and freedom she’s expressing is one of the things I’ll never allow myself to experience due to my own neuroses relating to water. And, check out the look on the Swimming Instructors face. I know what she's saying... "Is your wife insane, or is she always like this?"
Although I'm sure I've traumatized her for life by screaming bloody murder and embarrassing myself, I’m glad I can live this moment with her. I love her independence and her zest for life.

She’s my inspiration. And, yes. I promise I'll behave tonight at her swim lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment