Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The turn of the leaves

Last week I notices something odd in the creek. We have a creek that runs around our house, did I ever tell you that? Anyway, the creek has a few small Oaks that have started to turn. They don't really turn into the vibrant colors of the East Coast Oaks, but they do the best they can as California Oaks.

What's the whole "Global Warming" thing about if Fall starts in August? How the heck is it we are in the middle of August, in California no less, and we already have Fall? Not that I'm complaining mind you... but it's August. We haven't gone to pick Raspberries yet. Raspberry picking is the benchmark of the middle of Summer 'round these parts. Then comes Apple picking. Apple picking marks the end of the Summer season. That doesn't start until the end of September.

I suppose this could be a sign of a very cold winter. We've been gearing up for just such a thing over the past few weeks. I've done some weatherizing and ordered some wood for the fireplace. Did I ever mention we get snow? Yes, Southern California gets snow. I love Summer and Fall, but when Fall ends, Winter begins and I don't care for the Snow.
Ah well, the Lollygagger and her Daddy will be happy about it. They enjoy riding in the laundry basket down the driveway. When we get snow, I'll show you what I mean.

Watching them act like a pair of nuts makes me happy. So I guess there is a bright side to the changing seasons.
I just wish is could come a bit later than sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment