Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Grandmother

Of all the wonderful people I have known, my Grandmother was one of the finest. She was regal, refined, and beautiful.



Her parents, William and Momma Phoenix, shown here, were fine people too. I never knew my Great Grandfather, but I understand he was kind and enjoyed doting on his granddaughter (my mother).

According to some of the pictorial history my sister has managed to save all these years, my Grandmother was born here:

Can you believe we have a document from the year 1911?!


Somehow my sister discovered that this group is standing in front of a Library. It's likely in Chicago, but which one it is, is any one's guess.


Perhaps there's someone out there who can identify this Library.


Anyone, anyone. Bueller, bueller...



In the photo, you can see my Grandmother as an infant in the arms of her father.


The photo below is my Grandmother. Her name is Margaret. In this photo, she is 14 years old, in the year 1925.


I wish I could see the entire dress she's wearing, and the shoes. I wonder if women were as shoe crazy in the 1920's as we are today. Not that I have a shoe collection or anything.


It seems all things really do come back in style. Give her some bangs and BAM, that's my current hair-do. Mines a bit longer, but still.


The amazing thing about her is, she never changed. She looked just as beautiful in her old age as she did at 14 years old. Her entire facial structure is the same. Sure, she had some age showing, but the ability to recognize her in this photo was instant. I didn't have to ask who she was.

This is another amazing photo. I love the Irish Regalia. Too bad it's not in color, I'm certain it was green.

My Grandmother was an intelligent woman with many hidden talents. I learned, not so long after her death, that she was fluent in the French language. I'll have to ask if she could do an Irish jig as well. I can't imagine any other reason she would be dressed in such a fantastic outfit.

I love it.


In the next photo, my Grandmother is standing in front of her house and she looks as if she is waiting for something, or someone. Maybe she's waiting for Carl, my Grandfather.


Her dress is light and flowing, and so 1940's. I imagine it's yellow, because I think she would look so delicate and pretty in yellow.

I suppose she wore a lovely hat, but knew a hat with this outfit would be a mistake, as almost all hats were in this era. I know this to be true because I have a picture of her sister in a hat. My Grandaunt June, was just as beautiful and lovely as my Grandmother, but she wore hats that wouldn't make it through the typical door of the year 2009. The brim was wider than Momma Cass in her later years. Not pretty.

My Grandmother was a loving woman who, I'm happy to say, I never witnessed having an angry moment. She was patient, and generally allowed people to do their own thing.


I recall the words she spoke on certain occasions as if it were yesterday.


Good thing my long term memory is still in check.

Once, we went to the Coronet, a little five and dime store in town. I came home with Necco Wafers that I got with a five finger discount. She caught me eating them and asked "did you snatch them from the store?" I fessed up, and she threw them away. I didn't have to go back to pay for them, or apologize, and she didn't tell my mother. She was disappointed though. And it broke my heart. I never stole another thing again. Except for the gigantic motor home, but that's another story. Oh, my poor mother.


My Grandmother loved her mother. Here they are together in the 1930's.

I remember my Great Grandmother. She seemed to be the oldest woman alive, but always had a smile for me when I walked into her bedroom. She held my hand every time I went to visit. It shook, but she managed to hang on.


In this last photo, you see my Grandmother in the center, my mother on the left, and my uncle on the right.

Doesn't it look as if they are in a jail house photo shoot?

How sweet and generous of my sister to share these photos. I love my Grandmother and enjoyed the memories.


Thanks Kristin!






No comments:

Post a Comment