Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sleepin' with a Fish

Something new has developed at our house. Something, weired. Something, something...

Something so strange, I can barely bring myself to say it.

She fell in love with a fish, and I didn't get the memo.

The Lollygagger is a book fiend and can't seem to get along without her books. She goes to bed with a book every night. She craves a book of any type. Cardboard, paper, big or small, it doesn't matter. Books are her comfort. If she can't fall asleep with a book in her arms, she won't be able to shut her tiny eyes for hours.
Yes, that's a bit odd, but what really makes the whole book thing an oddity is, she can't read yet. She tries, but geez, she's only five.

So, last night I went into her room to check on her, as I do every night before I go to bed. It's routine for me to pull a book out from under her head, or peel it out of her hands as she applies the grip of death.


This night, however, I found this:



What is this, I ask. How did this happen?

I've tried for nearly four years to get her to enjoy the plethora of stuffed animals I've invested hundreds of dollars in, with no luck. She's been so adamant about sleeping with her books, I gave up on the whole stuffed animal thing altogether and haven't purchased one in ages.

Now, I find this.




I feel confused. Out of sorts. And, somehow uninformed.

Does her daddy know about this? Is he keeping this life changing, earth shattering event from me? He claims ignorance to the whole matter, but I just don't know. I say he's in on the whole thing.




Will this be a singular event, or the new norm?


Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment